Monday, September 17, 2012

Chevron-Striped Baby Quilt


With baby boy due 4 weeks from today, to say that I have been nesting is an understatement! I've been organizing, cleaning and doing lots of sewing! Some sewing for baby, some for other projects around the house or for my shop. 

For the nursery, I decided to go with aqua, orange and gray. Chevron is my new obsession, so I had to incorporate that, along with some polka dots. 

This being my third child, I hadn't done much for his room, besides make curtains. I decided not to make a bumper or bed skirt this time, since I don't use them for very long. But I really wanted to make him a quilt. 






I chose some orange and aqua chevron from this Riley Blake collection, as well as some coordinating polka dot, also from Riley Blake. While I am not really doing an 'elephant theme' in the room, I have always loved this print so I included that as well. 

I decided to change up the predictable square quilt pattern and do stripes instead. I am so glad I did. Not only did I not have to cut out a billion squares (cutting strips is soo much easier and less time consuming),  I LOVE how it turned out! 



I used just the gray and white polka dots for the back of the quilt and gray bias tape for the binding. I really wanted white, but Hobby Lobby didn't have enough, so gray it was!  I used this tutorial, found on Pinterest, to help me with the corners of the bias tape. It was so easy! My corners usually come out funky looking, so I'm glad I took the time to look up how to do it correctly. 


It's hard to see in the picture below, but I quilted a large chevron design over some of the stripes. This is my first time to actually quilt something, I am so proud! I only had to use my seam ripper once. Ha! 


Can't wait for my little one to snuggle up in his new quilt!

1 comment:

  1. You did an amazing job!! Your little one will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...